Urinary tract infection or UTI is a disease that marks its presence in your body, as soon as you feel a burning sensation in your urinary tract (ureters, kidney, urethra, and bladder) as you are trying to urinate.
In women, this infection is caused by the bacteria that are present in the bladder or urethra, and in men, it is noticed when there is an enlarged prostate. (1)
Mainly the treatment involved in this kind of virus is using a lot of water to help flush out bacteria from your urinary tract, besides this the infection might be prevented through proper hygienic and healthy lifestyle habits. (1)
So if you are thinking that whetherdehydration and UTI symptoms are connected? Then the answer is a resounding yes.
1. 5 symptoms that will help you identify UTI in your body
- Having the urge to urinate frequently.
- Urine that is colored (bright pink, red, or cola tinted).
- The urine smell is very strong.
- Constant pain in the pelvis region.
- A flaming sensation while urinating.
The most common causes of UTI infection is when there are germs in your urinary tract then the natural defense systems in your urinary tract are unable to fight then the bacteria, and they begin to multiply in the bladder(2).
The multiplication of these bacteria causes UTI.
2. How dehydration causes UTI
A professor at Miami school of medicine experimented with 140 women.
Half of them were told to drink water according to their convenience, and the other half were told to drink 1.5 l liters of extra water other than what they usually drink.
After 12 months, it was found that women who consumed 1.5 liters of water per day along with their daily drinking habits, showed a much lower count of UTI than the women who drank water according to their convenience.
This study clearly shows thatdehydration cause UTI symptoms. (3)
3. Can I Get UTI if I drink less water
According to a study in Jama, drinking less water can cause urinary tract infections. (4)
Felicia Fick a urologist says that 80 % of UTIs can be treated by drinking a significant amount of water each day.
The fluid does not have to be necessarily water; it can come in the form of cranberry juice also.
These are some of theUTI symptoms from not drinking enough water:
- Urine that has a very strong smell.
- Urine that appears colored.
- Always have the urge to urinate.
4. 5 tips that you can use to consume more water
- Make sure that you make your daily drinking flavored by adding fruits, lemons, and herbs.
- Make a habit to drink a glass of water every time you sit for a meal, brush your teeth or use the bathroom.
- Try to eat foods that have high water content like cucumbers and watermelon & avoid certain foods.
- Track your water intake by connecting with a smartphone.
- Create a daily goal of drinking a certain amount of water.
5. 5 other preventive measures to mitigate UTI
- Aftersexual intercourse, drink two glasses of water to flush out the bacteria(6).
- Make sure that you used quality condoms during lovemaking as bad quality condoms can lead to bacteria. (7)
- Always do a bowel movement after urinating.
- Avoid the use of any feminine products around the genital area. Don’t use perfumes, powders, and deodorants.
- Consume herbal teas such as Parsley tea, ginger tea, hibiscus tea or corn silk tea.
6. What are you willing to do for avoiding UTI
From the above information, it is clear that there is a high chance of getting a urinary tract infection if you don't take water consumption seriously.
Make sure to follow the tips and tricks provided in this article as every piece of information is backed by facts.
Also, don’t forget to share this data with your friends sinceUTI Symptoms from dehydrationis real.