When we say elderberry extract, remember, please don't confuse it with elderberry syrup. Many people consider them as the same and use both the terms interchangeably. You get the extract through a heating process using a solvent that extricates the healthy phytochemicals from the elderberry bush fruits. However, you prepare the syrup using this extract.
You can use different solvents depending upon the polarity of the phytochemical you desire to get from the elderberries. Most commonly, water, glycerin, vinegar, and alcohol are those solvents. For instance, use the water solvent to extract the antioxidant-rich anthocyanins phytochemicals from the sambucus plantas they are water-soluble.
Also, make sure to use only the whole, fresh elderberry bush berries for the extraction process. Thus, elderberry extract is the purest form of the juice that you can get to further prepare syrups, juices, and much more.
Now, as you have understood the meaning of elderberry extract, let's hop on to the extraction process.
Process to Extract Elderberry
Extracting elderberry juice from the elderberry bush fruit is a quick and easy process. If you are eager to prepare a natural and pure form of elderberry extract, follow the step by step process.
Things you need:
- Fresh elderberries
- Mesh sieve
- Air-tight container
- Prick the lovely little black elderberries from the elderberry bush You can buy some from the store but make sure they are fresh.
Tip: If you hand-plucked the berry clusters, make sure you freeze the berries before the process. This way, you can easily de-stem the berries by whacking the stems on the countertop.
- Further, rinse the berries thoroughly to remove extra stems, dirt, or grime before starting the actual extraction process. (Note: No need to dry them.)
- Now comes the real part. For this heat process, we'll use water as a solvent. Put the washed elderberries into a pot filled with water and place the pot on the flame. Make sure not to fill the water to the brim to boil and stir the fruits properly.
- Bring the water to a quick boil while stirring the berries vigorously.
- After that, cover the pot with the lid.
- Allow it to simmer for about 5 - 10 min.
- When done, take a mesh sieve to strain the juice from the boiled elderberries mixture.
- Leave the strainer on the pot for a few hours until the juice completely drops out of the mixture.
- That's it! Your extract is ready to consume. Store it in an air-tight container and use it as and when you like.
When you heat process the black lace elderberry, there will be no trace of any cyanide compounds left in the juice. The elderberry extraction process removes all the toxins in the form of vapor. Once the liquid is free of toxins, you are ready with the powerhouse homemade antiviral solution.
Elderberry bush is known for its medicinal properties. Fight off all the flu symptoms and boost your immunity by mixing elderberry extract with other drinks and foods